Saturday, January 10, 2015

Another Year in Review - 2014

Wow - 2014 was quite a year. I left New England for warmer temperatures here in North Carolina. While I will always have snow in my heart, I just don't want to deal with it underfoot any more! Plus, my dad is here, and we have a lot of catching up to do. It has been such a blessing to spend time with him and get to know my brothers and sister-in-law and niece and nephews.

And I bought a house. Never ever EVER thought I would be able to do that - have a place of my own. It's smallish but I love it and it fits me perfectly. Louie and Lucie have settled in really well, and they love the windows that look out onto their new world. The huge backyard usually has at least a few birds in it to give the catties some entertainment.

My street is surrounded by fields of cotton, sweet potatoes, soybeans, corn, even sunflowers. And the donkey is the third most popular form of transportation around here, after the car/truck and the golfcart. It's really quiet all day and at night, except when the local custom is to shoot off fireworks at all hours - 4th of July and New Year's Eve so far. And, you can see the stars  at night.

I was so lucky to be able to take my job with me here, and I work exclusively at home. My toughest commute is when I wrap my toes around the couch leg on the way into the office - which I manage to do frequently. Working at home has reduced my expenses considerably, and when you add that my mortgage is much less than rent used to be, that's icing on the cake!

No comments: